- Webster in open Speaker race as Majority Leader withdrawsPosted 5 hours ago
- The Crossings Church celebrates new Winter Garden digsPosted 11 hours ago
- Luck of the straw: Boba tea cafe bubbles up in Winter GardenPosted 11 hours ago
- Webster recognizes Times & Observer in front of CongressPosted 12 hours ago
- Dr. Phillips locals reject Rialto II proposalPosted 12 hours ago
- Recycling initiative at Keene’s Crossing Elementary turns into race for new playgroundPosted 12 hours ago
- Scots scrubbing spots: Scottish family opens Florida’s first Imperial Maid ServicePosted 12 hours ago
- Bright Horizons welcomes first students to Windermere locationPosted 12 hours ago
- Halfway Home: Breakout stars making a name as season enters second halfPosted 13 hours ago
- SIDELINE SCENE: Dr. Phillips football wins when it matters mostPosted 14 hours ago
School bells ring Monday
Students, your days of sleeping in are almost over. The 2014-15 school year starts Monday morning, Aug. 18, for Orange County Public Schools.
For high-schoolers in West Orange County, classes start early: 7:15 a.m. at West Orange High, 7:18 at Olympia and 7:20 at Ocoee and Dr. Phillips. Middle school students at all seven local middle schools begin their lessons at 9:30 a.m. And elementary students start their school day at 8:30 or 8:45 a.m. (the exceptions are Dillard Street at 8 a.m. and Bay Meadows and Thornebrooke at 9).
Three schools will start the year with new principals: Cheron Anderson at Chain of Lakes Middle, Patrice Knowles at Gotha Middle and Agathe Alvarez at Tildenville Elementary. Kevin Balabas was hired as assistant principal at Spring Lake Elementary.
The Orange County Public Schools calendar for the 2014-15 school year is printed on page 5B. It includes 10 bad-weather days, which are utilized when school has been cancelled (usually because of a tropical storm or hurricane). The dates are, in prioritized order, Oct. 24, Feb. 16, Nov. 24, Nov. 25, March 27, March 26, March 25, March 24, March 23 and Nov. 26.
Orange County Public Schools provides an information hotline for parents: (407) 317-3463. More back-to-school information can also be found at ocps.net.