- Break-in victims search for lost dogPosted 15 hours ago
- Longtime recreation director accepts new postPosted 16 hours ago
- Church youth group spends life-changing week serving deaf children in JamaicaPosted 17 hours ago
- Residents remain concerned about Gotha developmentPosted 17 hours ago
- Nonprofit helps Orange County preemies, parentsPosted 17 hours ago
- Winter Garden resident featured in ‘Unselfish’ bookPosted 18 hours ago
- West Orange resident returns to open new pet resortPosted 18 hours ago
- Strength, conditioning programs take center stage during summerPosted 18 hours ago
- PHOTOS: Ocoee, Olympia and Windermere Prep hit weights in offseasonPosted 18 hours ago
- Dr. Phillips Little League Majors team preps for state tournamentPosted 18 hours ago
Jazz Band raising money for Chicago
The Jazz Ensemble at West Orange High School has been invited to attend an annual clinic in Chicago and now must raise funds to make the trip.
The 68th Annual Midwest Clinic is an international band and orchestra event that averages 17,000 attendees from more than 30 countries and features performing ensembles from all around the globe.
Band Director Ken Boyd hopes to raise enough money so all students can go. The trip is Dec. 16-20 and will cost approximately $36,000.
Attendees will watch multiple concerts while they are there, including the Chicago Symphony Brass, and will have a chance to meet professors from more than 80 colleges who will be presenting at the clinic.
The community can sponsor a member of the jazz band by mailing a check payable to West Orange High School Band, 1625 Beulah Road, Winter Garden, FL 34787. Donations are tax-deductible. Individuals or businesses that sponsor the band will be advertised in all of the jazz band’s programs for the upcoming school year.