- GALLERY: Mayor Vandergrift’s Retirement PartyPosted 22 hours ago
- Reduced Horizon West residential plan receives county transmittalPosted 2 days ago
- Break-in victims search for lost dogPosted 3 days ago
- Longtime recreation director accepts new postPosted 3 days ago
- Church youth group spends life-changing week serving deaf children in JamaicaPosted 3 days ago
- Residents remain concerned about Gotha developmentPosted 3 days ago
- Nonprofit helps Orange County preemies, parentsPosted 3 days ago
- Winter Garden resident featured in ‘Unselfish’ bookPosted 3 days ago
- West Orange resident returns to open new pet resortPosted 3 days ago
- Strength, conditioning programs take center stage during summerPosted 3 days ago
Ocoee residents praise Public Safety Academy
My wife and I just completed the city of Ocoee Citizens Public Safety Academy. I am serving on the Police Advisory Board, and Jackie is on the Fire Department Advisory Board. It was recommended we attend the safety academy for our own idea of how the police and fire departments operate.
It is open to the public and is free. We meet on Wednesday nights from 6-9 p.m. with lectures and hands-on experience. The class includes a ride-along with both departments at a date you select.
Having myself retired from the Ocoee Fire Department, it was old school, but the police department was very interesting. Included in the class is a tour of the jail and a CPR/AED class. All classes were given by very capable officers from both departments. Firearm safety includes a trip to the range, ripping a car apart at the fire department, along with fire-extinguishing classes and basic to intermediate First Responder training.
It was nice to see how well both departments work hand in hand. They make an excellent team. You will come away with a new appreciation of both. Class size is limited, so all students will have an equal ability to learn.
Did I mention the classes are free? Officer Patera Scott capably administers the OPD, and Lt. Corey Bowles does the same for the OFD.
Jackie and I highly recommend taking these free classes. You also get a shirt to wear to the classes.
Terry and Jackie Titus