- GALLERY: Community Family Dance at the Winter Garden Heritage FoundationPosted 21 hours ago
- GALLERY: Winter Garden library 10th anniversary partyPosted 23 hours ago
- GALLERY: Olympia Homecoming 2015Posted 1 day ago
- GALLERY: West Orange defense shines in 28-3 win at ApopkaPosted 1 day ago
- GALLERY: Olympia football extends win streakPosted 2 days ago
- Late miscues cost Knights in 28-17 lossPosted 2 days ago
- Friday Night Scoreboard: Week Six resultsPosted 2 days ago
- GALLERY: Ocoee High School HomecomingPosted 2 days ago
- GALLERY: Ocoee Vs. HagertyPosted 2 days ago
- GALLERY: Fall at West Oaks LibraryPosted 2 days ago
Ocoee residents praise Public Safety Academy
My wife and I just completed the city of Ocoee Citizens Public Safety Academy. I am serving on the Police Advisory Board, and Jackie is on the Fire Department Advisory Board. It was recommended we attend the safety academy for our own idea of how the police and fire departments operate.
It is open to the public and is free. We meet on Wednesday nights from 6-9 p.m. with lectures and hands-on experience. The class includes a ride-along with both departments at a date you select.
Having myself retired from the Ocoee Fire Department, it was old school, but the police department was very interesting. Included in the class is a tour of the jail and a CPR/AED class. All classes were given by very capable officers from both departments. Firearm safety includes a trip to the range, ripping a car apart at the fire department, along with fire-extinguishing classes and basic to intermediate First Responder training.
It was nice to see how well both departments work hand in hand. They make an excellent team. You will come away with a new appreciation of both. Class size is limited, so all students will have an equal ability to learn.
Did I mention the classes are free? Officer Patera Scott capably administers the OPD, and Lt. Corey Bowles does the same for the OFD.
Jackie and I highly recommend taking these free classes. You also get a shirt to wear to the classes.
Terry and Jackie Titus