- Orange County Sheriffs investigate home invasionPosted 7 hours ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Southwest FestivalPosted 13 hours ago
- WEEKEND BEST BET: 17th annual Oakland Heritage FestivalPosted 15 hours ago
- Ocoee Haunted House frightens thousands for seventh yearPosted 1 day ago
- Windermere Police writes citations for child bicyclistsPosted 1 day ago
- Windermere Council requests changes to Windsong development planPosted 1 day ago
- District-by-district analysis: Races clearer following Week Eight resultsPosted 2 days ago
- Class Notes 10.23.14Posted 2 days ago
- Winter Garden to throw Halloween bashPosted 2 days ago
- Locals compete in beauty pageantPosted 2 days ago
Hob Nob with the candidates
Voters who want to meet and learn about the candidates in the Aug. 26 primary election are invited to the West Orange Chamber of Commerce Hob Nob and Straw Poll.
Attendees will be able to hear candidates discuss their positions on local, state and national issues in a casual setting. And the attendees’ casting of unofficial votes in the straw poll could give a glimpse of how the primary turns out.
Last week, the Seminole County Regional Chamber of Commerce hosted its Vote Seminole Hob Nob, and the Winter Park Chamber of Commerce hosted its Political Mingle. Both of those events featured straw polls.
“We are the last straw poll before the Aug. 26 primary,” West Orange Chamber Vice President Krista Carter said. “All of the candidates are gunning to be the winners of this straw poll.”
As of July 25, 32 candidates planned to attend the Hob Nob. Besides unofficially choosing candidates, participants in the straw poll will cast nonbinding votes on whether to renew the local option, half penny sales tax.
Carter said anywhere from 400-600 people have attended previous Hob Nobs, which are a long-standing tradition in West Orange.
“It’s like a big meet-and-greet,” she said. “From the opening time to just before 7 p.m., people will mix and mingle and go to the candidate tables. And there will be food and beverages. It’s like a big Business After Hours (chamber event).”
Each candidate will be introduced to the audience at 6:30 p.m. Voting in the straw poll ends at 7 p.m., followed by an announcement of the winners.
Tickets for the Hob Nob are $26 in advance and $31 at the door. A corporate package of tickets costs $234. To buy tickets, which include dinner, beverages and a vote in the straw poll, visit wochamber.com or call (407) 656-1304.